Title: “International Team Calculates Total Amount of Matter in the Universe: Dark Energy Dominates”
Chiba University scientists, alongside an international team of researchers, have recently made a significant contribution to our understanding of the universe. In their groundbreaking study, published in The Astrophysical Journal, they have measured the total amount of matter in the universe for the second time. These findings shed new light on the composition of the cosmos, revealing that dark energy plays a major role.
According to the team’s calculations, matter constitutes 31% of the total amount of matter and energy in the universe. Surprisingly, most of this matter is not the regular, visible matter we are familiar with, but rather dark matter. Cosmologists speculate that only 20% of the cosmic matter is composed of broyonic matter while the remaining 80% is dark matter, a mysterious form of matter that cannot be directly seen or detected.
The scientists achieved this breakthrough by employing a novel technique. They analyzed the observed number and mass of galaxy clusters and compared these findings to predictions from numerical simulations. By estimating the total mass of each cluster using the number of galaxies within, they successfully determined the overall mass in the universe.
A key factor contributing to their success was the use of spectroscopy to accurately measure the distance to each cluster and its true member galaxies. This precise determination of distances helped them utilize the mass-richness relation (MRR) technique effectively. The team asserts that MRR can be a valuable tool in determining cosmological parameters and can be applied to new datasets obtained from extensive imaging and spectroscopic galaxy surveys.
The researchers emphasize that their findings are significant as they align with measurements obtained from cosmic microwave background (CMB) observations, strengthening the reliability of their results.
This breakthrough opens doors for future research as scientists explore the mysteries of dark matter, which forms the bulk of the total matter in the universe. Understanding the composition and behavior of dark matter is crucial in unraveling the fundamental workings of the cosmos.
As advancements in technology and techniques continue to revolutionize our understanding of the universe, Chiba University’s team has certainly made a considerable contribution to this field. Their findings provide the scientific community with vital insights and pave the way for further exploration into the enigmatic realms of dark matter and the nature of our universe.